Back to the past
Trang has a long history.There is the evidence to refer about the community creation before the Prehistorical period
Trang has a long history. There is the evidence to refer about the community creation before the Prehistorical period, and being improved continuously until Sukhothai period, as there are the evidences of civilization as the ancient remains, antiques, which showed that it is the route between west coast to the east coast. The biggest archaeological evidence is Takuapa district in Phang Nga province, Kuan beads at Khlong Tom district in Krabi province, and the ancient remains along the mountain caves near Trang river at Huai Yot district. These three areas are the doors of the route to cross the peninsula to the east coast from the Trang river to Tapi river in Nakhon Si Thammarat and Phatthalung. It made Trang to be the long historic city as well as the first point to respectfully invite the relics of Her Majesty, Massuri or White Blood Princess, the first Thai woman who believed and admired to the Bhuddism. She traveled to Sri Lanka, and respectfully invited Phra Buddha Sihing to Thailand, then constructed the ancient temple which people worshiped until present. Raising era of Trang came back around Ratanakosin Era or in King Rama 5th era, when Chaophraya Si Suriyawong (Chuang Bunnag) went on an inspection tour at west provinces, and found that Trang was suitable for cultivate and trading. There are the evidences that Phraya Ratthana Srethi was the promoter to grow sugar cane and create brown sugar factory to sell to Malayu. There is the clue of factory and the equipment to squeeze sugar cane in Ju-pa village, Kan Tang Tai sub-district, Kan Tang district. Until B.E. 2433(A.D. 1890), King Rama 5th has been to Trang, and been kind enough to appoint Phra Usdong Khon Tis Raksa ( Comsimbee Na Ranong) to be Trang governor and also promoted to be Phraya Rasdanupradist Mahisorn Pakdee. He has developed Trang in many ways, as his aim is to make Trang as the trading city. He has started from change the city from Kwuan Thani sub-district to be Kan Tang, at the Trang estuary. Trang grew so fast and it led to be the important trading port, which could export Thai rice to Penang, and also promoted to grow rubber tree at Trang as the first province. The roads and bridges has been built, as well as the southern railroads from Toong Song crossroad heading to Kan Tang port. It was the opening of the route in B.E. 2456 (A.D. 1913). This railroad has promoted the policy of Phraya Rasda really well. Besides, Phraya Rasda has a vision to make Kan Tang as the full potential for international trading port, by offer to the Government to build the deep water port but the idea was not accepted. On B.E.2458 (A.D. 1915), King Rama 5th has visited Trang, Phraya Rasda has requested to the Thai monarch to move the city to Tub Tieng sub-district, Bangruk district, due to the fact that Kan Tang is not the good location as in the World War 1, the German submarine, named Mden, has attack Penang. If there is any war happen in the future, Trang will be the target as same as Penang. As well as the area is basin of a river, the sea water could flood and also has epidemic. On B.E. 2459(A.D. 1916), the district’s name has changed from Bangruk to be Tub Tieng and has changed again to be Mueng Trang district on B.E. 2481(A.D. 1938) which is the location of the Mueng Trang district since then.Trang has been developing until the beginning of Ratanakosin Era, it is the port of Nakhon Si Thammarat, which is the fortress to collect the navy for protection from Myanmar, and also to get rid of Maleyu province which could turn to be the enemy in no time. Trang is no longer important when Myanmar was being the colony of The Britain. Thailand stopped to expand to the Malayu province since B.E. 2369 (A.D. 1826). When Nakhon Si Thammarat governor passed away, no one interested to trade through Trang anymore. On the other hand, Ranong, Phuket, Phang Nga and Takua Pa District, is more important as tin mine could make immensely income.
Satun or “ Satoy” in Malayu language, which means santol tree. It is the sub-district in the Saiburi area in Ratanakosin Era. On B.E. 2440 (A.D.1897)
King Rama 5 officially endorse to Phraya Saiburi Rama Pakdee, Chao Phraya Saiburi ( Abdul Hamit) to be intendancy of Saiburi precinct, and officially separated Satun out of Saiburi according to the Thailand-England contract for delimit between Thailand and Malayu on B.E. 2452 (A.D. 1909). This contract also took effects to Saiburi and Palis turned to be British’s colonies, but Satun has In the of the Great Britain colonialism period, Phraya Bhumi Nart Pakdee, Satun governor, was outstanding at protecting land of Siam from foreigns who crazy about colonialism. He always tell mariner in Tarutao island, Ardungrawee and Li-pe island that if someone ask that who own this island, please tell them that Siam own this island, so that those foreigns will go to somewhere else. By the knowledge of the Satun governor also affected to the small provinces’ economy to grow and called him as “Nakri-satoy-mumbang-skara” which means Satun, the city of Phra Samut Dewa. King Rama 5th officially endorsed him as a rank of Luang Intara Wichai Phraya Intara Wichai and Maha Amataya Tri Phraya Bhuminartpakdee at last position, so that he was the first governor who descended from the old Satun governor.
On B.E. 2475 (A.D. 1932) Thailand has changed government system to be Monarchy system, Satun has been promoted to be one of the province of Thailand since then.